November 28, 2018
January 31, 2019
Drones: The New Literacy
Skill sets that have been identified to deliver this course have included
• A teacher or teachers that are proficient in math and physics and /or has experience is operating drones. STEM and Literacy and Language
• Filming, Sound and video. Using Movie Maker
• Drone Operation
• Desirable: Certificate IV in Training and Assessment – TAE40110 (Learn Local teachers are not required to have a teaching certificate or a certificate in education)
The Warragul course is currently using 3 teachers, each of which have one of the specific skills. Teachers attend the sessions as identified in the session plans with one or two teachers often working together.
I am looking for people who may be interested in being a part of this teaching team who may have one or all of the above skills and who would be available during the 2 days per week for six weeks and interested in teaching. There is also time for preparation and learning the curriculum as well as teaching resources. We will be offering teacher training in the future to give teachers the opportunity to strengthen their skills in the use of the technology, STEM and adult education.
Teachers required for our new course.
Drones: The New Literacy is a 60-hour course with the aim to introduce digital literacy to drone technologies and their software attributes and include compliance and regulatory obligations.
Each week learners will be exposed to aspects of drone education. They will complete a workshop/ task and then play with drones, leading up to building and flying in a drone team. Each session will be made of 5 hours twice a week over six weeks (60 hours total).
There will be 2 courses delivered, one in West Gippsland and the other in East Gippsland. Learners will create documents for reference, experience hands-on interaction and have input into an e blog. Participants will also develop a video log of their experiences.
Pathways for this course include
Commercial UAV Pilots Licence,
Foundation Year (Science / Engineering)
Certificate IV in Photography/Video
Employment opportunities- Software Developer/Technician/
Operators/Tourism/Business Marketing /Professional Drone Racing
Further training with Learn Local in Language, Literacy or Technology
We have developed the course session plans and teacher resource materials and are currently trialing the course in Warragul which been a great success so far.
Our learner cohort for this course are:
• people who have been marginalised and have not accessed education, training and employment
• people who have experienced barriers to education in the past and need intensive support to re-engage with learning
• people who have limited access to learning opportunities e.g. rural
• Young people who are at risk of disengaging in education.
• Early school leavers
We are now planning for the delivery of the next course in East Gippsland with the possible venue being either Lakes Entrance or Bairnsdale in term one 2019.
If you are interesting in working with this project or know of anyone who may, please contact us at Buchan Neighbourhood House.