All businesses or companies that hire contractors, as well as the contractors themselves, need to be aware of the Australian Tax Office (ATO) definition of:
- ‘contractor’, as opposed to ’employee’, and
- ‘contractor/client relationship’ as opposed to ’employee/employer relationship’.
Reading these articles will make sure you know everything you need to know about meeting the ATO’s requirements when hiring contractors to work for you, as opposed to paying employees to work for you.
- The difference between an employee and a contractor is clearly outlined here: ATO: difference between contractors and employees.
- The ‘independence’ that your contractors must have (in terms of their relationship with you, their client) is clearly outlined here: ATO: Independence (of contractors).
- The importance of businesses meeting the ATO’s requirements when hiring contractors, and the penalties that can be imposed if they do not meet those requirements, are outlined here: ATO: Don’t treat employees as contractors.
- Your tax and super obligations when hiring contractors are detailed here: ATO: Your tax/super obligations.
- Finally, this is a great source of information about the ‘myths and facts’ about whether someone is technically a contractor or employee, and the requirements of hiring (or being) a contractor: ATO: Myths and facts.
Photograph: Pixabay Creative Commons licence (no attribution required).
Sally-Anne Watson Kane
Writer, editor, proofreader, owner/operator - On Time Typing
Sally-Anne Watson Kane owns and operates On Time Typing (established 2002) and Peewee Press (self-publishing business). Sally-Anne is a professional editor and full member of Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd) Australia, based in Moe, Gippsland. On Time Typing provides: scribing, report writing, minute-taking, transcription, copy writing, editing, proofreading, graphic design, and self-publishing services across Gippsland and Australia.
Sally-Anne manages an Australian-based team of eight typists, scribes, transcriptionists, writers and editors (all subcontractors) including two typists in Gippsland as well as typists, editors and scribes in Melbourne, Central Victoria, Queensland and Northern Territory.
Sally-Anne has 20 years' experience in:
- editing and proofreading publications, websites, policies and reports.
- audio transcription (dictation, transcripts of interviews, focus groups, investigations, hearings).
- recording, transcribing, compiling and self-publishing oral histories and anthologies.
- writing articles, websites, reports and publications
- scribing and writing selection, procurement and referee reports
- providing self-publishing services to authors, businesses and organisations from handwritten manuscript through to printed book stage, including: project planning, budget, typing, editing, proofreading, graphic design, printer liaison.