4 positives of running a home-based business
Some of the positives of being owner/operator of a home-based business are: 1) your workplace is close by, 2) you have full control over your workplace, 3) you have low operating costs, and 4) you can work flexible hours.
Your workplace is close by
If your workplace is a room in your home or property, it takes only minute to get to work each day. The only travel time or expenses you incur are when you need to travel to other locations; e.g. consult with clients in their workplaces. The time you save every day by not having to travel to or from work is time that can be spent working and earning money.
You have full control over your workplace
Because you have full control over your workplace, you can keep your workplace quiet or play background music, depending on how you work best. There are no other people working in your workplace to worry about or interrupt you when you’re in the middle of a job. If you have an intensive task to do and don’t want to be interruptions you can turn your phone off. This control over your workplace means that you have no distractions and can just get on with the job.
You have low operating costs
The operating costs of a home-based business are far lower than the those of a rented office or workplace. Electricity, heating and cooling costs less when your workplace is part of your own home. If you rent your home, you can claim the portion of your house that is your workplace as an expense, which is a tax saving. Home-based businesses don’t have the expense of travelling to and from work or eating out at lunchtime, and you tend to make your own coffee instead of going to cafes. All this adds up.
You can work flexible hours
Because your workplace is at home, your hours are extremely flexible. You can work until late at night or on weekends if you need to. You can take on more work than you could if you ran your business in a rented office in town. If you don’t have children you can work as many hours per week as you want to. If you do, you’ll need to balance your work and family commitments (an ongoing challenge for home-based business owners).
Want to know more about the joys and challenges of running a home-based business?
For more information go to:
- articles about running a sole trader/home-based business
- articles about work/life balance/health when working from home
Sally-Anne Watson Kane
Writer, editor, proofreader, owner/operator - On Time Typing, Editing and Proofreading
Sally-Anne Watson Kane owns and operates On Time Typing, Editing and Proofreading (established as 'On Time Typing' in 2002) and Peewee Press (since 2003). Sally-Anne is a professional editor and full member of Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd) Australia, based in Moe, Gippsland.
Our services: typing, scribing, report writing, minute-taking, transcription, copy writing, editing, proofreading, graphic design, and self-publishing.
Sally-Anne manages an Australian-based team of eleven typists, scribes, transcriptionists, writers and editors (all subcontractors) including typists in Gippsland as well as typists, editors and scribes in Melbourne, Central Victoria and interstate.
Sally-Anne is a professional member of Institute of Professional Editors and Editors Victoria, and a full member of Life Stories Australia.
Sally-Anne regularly writes articles about sole trader and small business management, writing and editing, self-publishing, and contemporary issues in Australia, across a variety of platforms.
Sally-Anne has 25 years' experience in:
- editing and proofreading publications, websites, policies and reports.
- audio transcription (dictation, transcripts of interviews, focus groups, investigations, hearings).
- recording, transcribing, compiling and self-publishing oral histories and anthologies.
- writing articles, websites, reports and publications
- scribing and writing selection, procurement and referee reports
- scribing, writing and editing self-published memoirs and life stories
- providing self-publishing services to authors, businesses and organisations from handwritten manuscript through to printed book stage, including: project planning, budget, typing, editing, proofreading, graphic design, printer quotes and liaison. We specialise in producing memoirs and life stories, local histories, and minority voices.